[lbo-talk] fighting over a gag order

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 25 09:28:27 PDT 2009

On Sep 25, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Matthias Wasser wrote:

>>> Cutting Medicare Advantage isn't a good thing?
>> What's it going to do to the people on it now? They'll probably pay
>> more
>> for less coverage. You think you can cut $500 billion out of
>> Medicare and
>> not have it hurt beneficiaries?
> Medicare Advantage is about as blatant an example of corporate
> welfare as
> could be designed. It's certainly nice for (its) enrollees, too,
> yes. It's a
> bad policy and there are much better, more soluble ways...

No, there's only *one* better way--Medicare Advantage, made much "nicer," *for all*. To keep health care under the thumb of Big Insurance and Big Pharma, while cutting spending on medicare by $half a trillion, is to cut our benefit by at least that much (or more, if the regulations to "improve efficiency" have the usual effect of increasing costs). We understand this very very well. That's why seniors can be so easily recruited by conservative Repugnicon scoundrels to chant "hands off my medicare" even though liberal Dumbocratic scoundrels may snicker about their not realizing that medicare is a government program and that they ought to favor cutting (ie., "increasing the efficiency of") government programs.

Shane Mage