[lbo-talk] The State (Was: Ralph loves the nice plutocrats)

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 21:03:45 PDT 2009

one way I encourage my students to think about Weber is to imagine a dialectic of rationalized (relatively meaning-less) social action and affective (deeply meaning-ful) social action where the increasing complexity of the social division of labor keeps on spinning off new arenas for the dialectic (in part because of the dialectic.) Eventually, however, the over-weening power of rationalization generates feedback mechanisms where there is less and less space for affect, for meaning. The difference between Weber and Marx, then, lies in the lack of contradiction and struggle in Weber's dialectic... which just makes him depressed and depressing to read. He's got no theory of the production of alternative meaning or collective, rather than charismatic, resistance. No matter what you think of Weber, it is brilliant stuff and - overstating the case, it is a kind of formal perfection of anti-modern romanticism, right and left... just like Durkheim's structuralism is a kind of formal perfection of hyper-modern Progressivism.

And thanks for clearing up one of my issues with Collins. To flow better, it should be religion is really economics economics is really politics politics is really religion but then you have to point out that the first religion, rooted in charisma, is meaning-producing and the second religion, which is actually rationalization, is meaning-obliterating.

Rambling.