[lbo-talk] At Kraft Argentina, the Beatings will Continue until Morale Improves....

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 02:13:31 PDT 2009

[Feel free to reporst anywhere, as long as you identify me as the source]

It seems to me that Kraft cookies made in Argentina will include rubber bullets and tear gas

Police infantry fired rubber bullets and tear gas to workers who took the plant in the outskirts of Buenos Aires, and also to a group of protesters whom were camping outside the facilities. Two workers and a one cop were injured.

Kraft founds bought local cookie-making firm Terrabusi a decade ago, and employs about 3,000 people at the plant. The products made here are exported throughout Latin America to Chile, Uruguay, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru and other countries.

The police had a judicial order to re-take the factory and they complied with it, Pinkerton-style. It brought memories of the worst days of the late 1970s military dictatorship where the police and armed forces fought unions and acted defending the corporate interests whenever there was a labour conflict.

Until yesterday's incidents, the protestors did roadblocks and the plant hasn't worked for the last 30 days, seriously hampering the firm's ability to deliver its products to the retail chain for the upcoming yuletide holidays.

The conflict started with the firing of 160 workers whom, several months ago and amid the H1N1 flu outbreak, where demanding the company something as simple as having alcohol-based hand rubs available.

The pinkerton-like mindset of Kraft execs is mind-blowing. They let the conflic escalate by refusing to cave in to the workers demands or reincorporate the fired workers, lost a whole month's productivity with the plant's activity grinded to a halt, and earned an awful lot of bad PR in the process. Way to go, Kraft!

If I were a US exec, I'd fire the whole management team in Argentina...

The police pigs attitude on the other hand, is something I'm not surprised of...

FC -- Dream of the Daily Mail It is the Holy Grail And then the BBC Your life would be complete

-Manic Street Preachers, "Royal Correspondent"