[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

RicardoStarkey at aol.com RicardoStarkey at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 14:47:34 PDT 2009

In a message dated 9/26/2009 12:16:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, billbartlett at aapt.net.au writes:

"I certainly hope you aren't suggesting that the young be indoctrinated with anti-religious notions. That is a cure that is as bad as the disease. Indoc[t]rination is the problem, not the solution."

I am suggesting that from the beginning of a child's education, and continuing thereafter, that she be given a thorough education in science, including the philosophy of science in later years, and history, including how unreasoned beliefs have greatly retarded the progress of humanity toward the development of societies in which all human beings are free to develop themselves, free of class exploitation. I know that last bit is a distant goal, but I firmly believe that religion hinders rather than helps the realization of that goal.

The definition of "indoctrination" is problematic, no? Presumably, you'd have no problem with the young being indoctrinated with anti-sexist or anti-capitalist notions. Of course, if by "indoctrinated," you mean "encouraged not to think for themselves," I am very definitely against that. But I think that religion is as widespread as it is precisely because accepting the supernatural dogma of one's parents without analysis or serious questioning is considered a virtue, and has been for millennia. I really just want the educational system to teach young people that any notion is fair game for criticism, but that there's no refuge in supernatural explanations.

Oh yeah. About not shunning (or whatever) one's relatives... I'm just allergic to people with reactionary mindsets who are certain that the Master of the Universe is in complete agreement with them, and I don't care how many genes we have in common. I don't wish them any harm; I just don't budget any of my time for them.