[lbo-talk] Astronomical amounts vs. economical amounts

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sat Sep 26 21:41:01 PDT 2009

Michael Pollak wrote:

> 100 billion suddenly seems like really small number for the whole
> universe.
> .... There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy.

our galaxy is not the universe, there are LOTS of galaxies. one estimate is 70 sextillion stars in the universe, which is 70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars.

if you could count one million stars per second, it would take you 22,196,854 lifetimes at 100 years per lifetime to count them all, if i haven't screwed up the arithmetic. counting is not the way to go.

Les