[lbo-talk] let's argue about the cause of mental illness

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Sep 27 11:59:33 PDT 2009

At 11:48 AM 8/27/2009, Bryan Atinsky wrote:
>A neighbor of my sister is a doctor at a psych hospital north of Tel Aviv,
>and not too long ago I got into a discussion with her (the doctor) about
>this relationship between SSRIs and suicidal ideation and behavior. She
>said that she thinks it isn't really the medication that creates the
>ideation, etc., but that many severely depressed individuals, the ones at
>least that she sees in her hospital, are too depressed to act on anything,
>let alone suicide, and can't really be counseled.

I've been reading Let Them Eat Prozac, which is by David Healy, parts of which are online. In it, I came across references to research that Lilly tried to heavily suppress WRT Prozac: suicide ideation among non-depressed people.

Lilly, and I assume other drug companies, when sued by survivors of people who'd taken SSRI's and then gone on murderous and suicidal rampages used a strategy of blaming the disease instead of the drug. At least in the Forsythe case against prozac, one Doug posted about here way back in 1999, Lilly worked hard to keep that evidence out of the courtroom since it was good evidence for pinning it on the drug, not the disease. Also in chapters 5 and & of Let Them Eat Prozac, there's a discussion of the fact that it was mildly depressed folks who, upon taking SSRI's, are the ones who suffered most from suicidal ideation most. These are folks who are totally incapacitated and, in fact, are folks who aren't hospitalized and don't need to be.

shag