[lbo-talk] Let them eat Prozac (was: let's argue about the causeofmental illness

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Sep 27 17:44:27 PDT 2009

At 5:40 PM -0500 27/9/09, Carrol Cox wrote:

>I think amitriptylines (not an SSRI) practically
>saved my life back in the mid-80s, but after that I ssemed to sink into
>and recover from depressive episodes pretyymuch independently of any
>meds I was taking.

I gather from Shag's earlier posts that there is essentially no scientific evidence that most of these psych drugs are actually effective. No more effective than a placebo.

But it shouldn't come as any surprise that placebos are very effective remedies for psychological malaise. Imaginary remedies for imaginary illnesses, it just has to work, when you think about it.

I was feeling a bit depressed myself last night. My family is away on holiday and I'm on my own with no-one to talk to. Came down with the 'flu a week ago and have been sick as a dog. My mother's in hospital. Then yesterday morning just before 6 am, after I woke up with a coughing fit, the electricity was cut by a fierce gale and stayed out all day.

In the evening, I lit a couple of candles and sitting there in the flickering light I couldn't help thinking about how my youngest daughter loved it when the power went out and would run around lighting as many candles as she could find. Sigh...

Anyhow, I prescribed rum for the condition. It worked a treat.

I feel much better this morning. I think its cured me of the flu as well.

So Carroll, take my advice. Steer clear of those amitriptyline thingies, sounds quite unpleasant. Next time you're feeling blue, have a few glasses of Bundaberg rum. In fact, go out and buy a bottle right now and keep it in the cupboard for when you need it.

Medicinal purposes only though Carrol, no cheating.

(Why oh why isn't Bundy subsidised by the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, that's what I want to know?)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas