[lbo-talk] no return

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:05:28 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
> At 11:42 AM 9/29/2009, Eric Beck wrote:
>>
>> Another occupation/action/dance blog:
>>
>> http://likelostchildren.blogspot.com/

> read their flying, skimming the headlines, this one gave me the chills:
>
> WE ARE YOUR FRIENDS;YOU'LL NEVER BE ALONE AGAIN.
>
> that's just yucky.

I tend to not want to criticize these occupations for any reason--mostly because young people really don't need more old people telling them how fucked up they are* and especially since the communiques coming out of UCSC, the New School, and Athens, among others, get so much right--but also thought this was a bit creepy, or at least weird. Though, as you say, it might reference something I'm not understanding.

*Like the famous US leftist professor who snottily wrote on her blog that changing the university "requires discipline and sacrifice, not the affective intensities of manifestoes and blockades"; that "students are captured because they don't read, don't think"; and that "real destruction of the status quo involves more than occupying buildings. It involves reclaiming the capacity to think critically and becoming disciplined enough to do so."