[lbo-talk] more noxious crap

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 19:04:15 PDT 2009

Let me put the following statement into context. Yesterday morning I got a tonsillectomy and a spetoplasty at the same time. There are around 2 largI'm very hungry. My tongue is swollen and can barely swallow without bringing myself to the brink of tears. I've also had reoccurring hiccups throughout the day. I had to sleep awkwardly so I wouldn't choke on my own blood and mucus so I now have a terrible neck and backache.

Reading this was probably the most painful thing that happened to me in the last 48 hours.

Here are some highlights:

*Did you make an Obama-inspired YouTube video? Make one today for universal health coverage. Send it to everyone, get it to go viral. Did you have a pro-Obama blog. Make in an Obama-watch blog and keep people informed of the opportunities we have to impact policy. Did you knock on doors or make phone calls? Then join a local advocacy group and put that energy into pressing for fair housing. We elected Obama. We can change America. *

* Put down the hammer and try a screwdriver. *

*We have a sacred responsibility as citizens to hold all of our elected leaders accountable. But we have a unique opportunity to do more than that with Barack. We could actually help him succeed. There is an important difference. Accountability language is all about making demands and screaming for the government to meet your needs and interests. That is fine, but it is only one tool. Let's call is a hammer. A hammer is a great tool if you are faced with a nail. Bang away on a nail and you get good results. *

* But we should not assume that all our problems are nails. Some are screws. If you bang away on a screw you get a big mess. So instead of always assuming we are faced with a problem that requires complaint from the outside, why not ask what we can do to help Obama achieve a new direction for America? *