[lbo-talk] Polanski

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 19:15:16 PDT 2009

You plead to the charges in the indictment, maybe as modified by the plea bargain, which may be more than the the facts that satisfy the elements of the crime. (Although you plead to those at a minimum.) So unless you are lying in your plea, the plea is a subset of the facts. We have real offense rather than charge offense sentencing, means not everyone who pleads to the same thing gets the same sentence. So the courts get, typically, the parole board (not consering parole at this stage) to interview the defendant and others and prepare an often lengthy report on the details. That will be read or summarized in the reacord and the judge will ask the Defenfant under oath of it is true. In addition the Defendant will typically be expected to make an allocution, to describe the crime in his own words. A good judge who's not to busy will dig hard to get a detailed story. Point is, the plea is not the whole story, but we're talking crime and punishment, not

_Crime and Punishment_. However it is often a good picture of the facts. Andie (criminal defense lawyer)