[lbo-talk] Polanski

JC Helary brandelune at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:14:02 PDT 2009

On 1 oct. 2009, at 07:44, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2009, at 6:38 PM, JC Helary wrote:
>
>> On 1 oct. 2009, at 06:11, James Heartfield wrote:
>>
>>> Is justice served by imprisoning a 76 year-old man for something
>>> he did when he was 44?
>>
>> In some cases yes. I'm thinking of assassinations, crimes against
>> humanity etc. Things that have been judged in French courts in the
>> past already (Paul Touvier, Klaus Barbie).
>>
>> But as you describe the case, no.
>
> So it's ok to dodge a prison sentence - not one for political
> crimes, but for what looks to be a very nasty common crime - for 35
> years by hiding out in Paris and Gstaad?

I'm talking about James' account of the case, which sounds more reasonable than anything else I've read for the moment. And "crimes agains humanity" are _not_ political crimes.

Now, are we here to judge the morality of Polansky leaving the US because he did not trust the justice system there ? It looks like there is an agreement here too that it was not unreasonable from his point of view, to leave the US since the Judge could not be considered reliable. And, yes, it's ok to try to find ways to dodge a prison sentence. A plea bargaining is exactly about that. The way he choose may not have been the smartest though.