[lbo-talk] Let's All Argue About

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 1 10:26:19 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > Claiming it can be stopped under capitalism is the wildest sort of
> > utopianism.
>
> Nah, it's mildly aggressive reformism.

Well, we can hope so. Several nations, I believe, already get half or more of their electricity from nucler power, How many nations depend on or are moving towards having nucler energy be a major part of their energy supply? IWhat would be tthe arguments against the following premise: The only way in which use of nuclear power can be _substantiall_ decreased is by an equally substantial decrease in total energy consumed. Say reduce air travel to mid-century levels? Come close to eliminating auto traffic. And above all, decimate military use of energy. If such measures aren't taken, where will the reduction come from? And is it reasonable to suppose that alternate energy sources will do the trick? Why?

Carrol