[lbo-talk] Mitchel's interview with two Platypus organizers

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:31:47 PDT 2010

>There is another piece that examines Klein and Harvey's
1930s / Fordist
http://platypus1917.org/2009/05/15/resurrecting-the-30s/.
>Chris critiques
Ramsey Clark as being right-wing at early on in the show
>too, also the
ANSWER brand of "anti-imperialism" (he could have been a bit
>stronger
here).

I can't say I was impressed by the interview. One can make many sound critiques of "New Deal nostalgia" or calls for a "New New Deal," but to indirectly or directly indict Klein or Harvey for being "right-wing" is sensationalist and juvenile. And likewise, many pointed critiques can be made of Stalinoid or CPUSA or Committees of Correspondence varieties of "anti-imperialism," but these guys did not choose their words carefully and sounded as if they were about to sign on to the Euston Manifesto. Despite myself, I came away feeling more sympathetic to Cohen than I did to the Platypus gang.

_________________________________________________________________ Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_2