[lbo-talk] Victory on Mountaintop Mining?

shrill.polemic shrill.polemic at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 06:21:19 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> [I thought this sounded almost too good to be true.  But at the end they
> have the Rainforest Action Network -- one of the many groups who've been
> doing these dump mud and raise banners protests we've seen so much of in
> last month -- calling it a "leap" in the right direction.  So maybe one more
> good thing just happened.  Although I'm not competent to judge, knowing
> nothing of the technical details.]
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/apr/01/obama-administration-mining

This appears to be a substantive step in the right direction. The West Virginia News Gazette hosts an excellent blog on coal policy and politics by Ken Ward, Jr. - Coal Tatoo.

Here's a link to an article on the EPA's new guidance document for permitting mountaintop removal operations:

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/coaltattoo/2010/04/01/breaking-news-not-an-april-fools-joke-epa-actually-does-take-unprecedented-steps-to-reduce-damage-from-mountaintop-removal-coal-mining/

shrill