[lbo-talk] Fwd: IMF Changing Slowly, But How Much?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Apr 3 10:35:34 PDT 2010

On Sat, April 3, 2010 3:26 am, Julio Huato forwarded:

> CENTER FOR ECONOMIC AND POLICY RESEARCH
> IMF Changing Slowly, But How Much?
> By Mark Weisbrot
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/apr/01/imf-wall-street-banks

Some good points, but it should be noted that the IMF's $750 billion in total potential resources (most of which are credit lines, not actual loans) pales next to the $3.3 trillion of cold, hard cash owned by the BRIC forex reserve/sovereign wealth funds.

One of the things which I suspect will be on the agenda of the BRIC summit on April 16 is the need to establish some guidelines for using that stockpile in creative ways, to boost domestic consumption and help support growth in neighboring countries. We'll see what they come up with.

-- DRR