[lbo-talk] Freakonomics in brief

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 11:28:45 PDT 2010

[This encapsulates the genre pretty well. -s]

http://www.theonion.com/articles/freakonomist-keeps-close-eye-on-ge-stock-versus-he,17202/

Freakonomist Keeps Close Eye On GE Stock Versus Height Of Mexican Weightlifters APRIL 5, 2010 | ISSUE 46•14

CHICAGO—A University of Chicago freakonomics professor told General Electric investors Monday to keep a close eye on recent fluctuations in the heights of competitive powerlifters from Mexico. "Usually we can count on a stable average of 5 feet 8 inches, but last month's quarter-inch drop in height among Mexican dead-lift competitors in the middle-heavyweight division could spell disaster for GE's aviation and software subsidiaries," freakonomist James Duncan said. "But, like anything else, a shrewd investor must always ask himself one thing: How many hot dogs did I eat last year?" Duncan previously gained recognition for tracking first-time home ownership and teenage mothers' gum purchases against the Times Tom Jones Is Played Per Day Index.