[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 11:44:32 PDT 2010

At 11:28 AM 4/6/2010, Eric Beck wrote:

> > To quote Frank Sobotka from "The Wire": "You know what the trouble is
> > Brucey? We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put
> > our hand in the next guy's pocket."
>
>Countering immaterialist hucksterism with Fordist productivist
>nostalgia? Yeesh.
>
>Don't get me wrong: the second season of The Wire is fucking
>magisterial, but I think it's better to follow the show and criticize
>Sobotka, not valorize him.

Tough crowd. How do you get to criticizing Sobotka, not to mention understanding terms like like immaterialist hucksterism, without starting somewhere? Like maybe thinking about what "put our hand in the next guy's pocket" means?

I think what's important about The Wire and The Sopranos is they got some heavy criticism out there that was heard by all kinds of people, including some who have no fucking idea what Fordist productive nostalgia means.