[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 6 11:55:58 PDT 2010

I don't know of a single conception (including my own) of the connection of art and politics that I can accept. James Kincaid some decades ago published an article in Critical Inquiry entitled "Cohrenet Readers; Incohrent Texts." I would tentatively paraphrase that in the present context as "Political Readers; Apolitical texts." Such shows as the Wire or any other novel, poem, paly, mime, standup comic, etc. provokees critical thought only as the reader/viewer/listener brings critical thought to his/her response to and understanding of the work. A reader of Ch9omsky or of Marx (or pick you own favorite) will be poltically influenced by that text only if in his/her own activity (s)he has already begun to move in that dirction.

What I got from Postone, for example, was what I considered a firmer & more useful theoretical context for political thought and action but otherwise he had no influence whatever on my political thinking. I came to his book convinced that capitalism was an aberration in human history; I found in his book an analysis of capitalism (or, more accurately, a construal of Marx's analysis) that reinforced and gave depth to that perspective. His students, in so far as I have read any of their stuff, took from him and/or his texts the bizarred idea that "The Left" had been a filure for the last century, and the even more bizarred idea that one could derive from a theoretical analysis of capitalism a theory of political action.

I know that many people, including a number on this list, explain their political radicalization in terms of something they read. I simplyu don't believe them. That ext that radicalized them did so only because their activity had prepared them to be radicalized by it, not because the text had an indepencent racizlizing potential.

The Wire never generated critical thought in a single person who was not already beginning at least to think critically, said beginning rooted in his/her history.

Carrol