[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

Aaron Stark aaronsta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 14:29:04 PDT 2010

"As the world gets richer, demand will rise for the sorts of products Americans are great at providing - emotional experiences."

When I read that, I wondered if he was referring to some unholy combination of "experience design" and "emotional design". From the little that I know about these two fields, experience design seems to be marketing plus industrial design plus service design, and emotional design refers to a book by human-factors guy Donald Norman. Both of these fields are popular sources of buzzwords in consultant-land these days, and I could imagine someone like Brooks thinking that the U.S. has a competitive advantage in creating and "managing" "emotional experiences". (Their buzzwordiness aside, these fields can be valuable; I don't want to set off another user interface designer/developer flame war...)

-Aaron