[lbo-talk] Fwd: Afternoon Update: Upheaval in Kyrgyzstan as Leader Flees

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:29:32 PDT 2010

On 4/7/10, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:

> I'll bet, on little direct evidence, that this is the result of >US machinations.

You might be right, but I think it might be revealing that you do think that. Doesn't an automatic assumption that the U.S. is involved imply that Kyrgystanis are incapable of doing it by themselves?

Not that I exempt myself from this. When the coup happened in Honduras last year, I immediately assumed the U.S. was responsible. I even had a wicked-witty Facebook status update congratulating Obama on his first Latin American coup and how past presidents would tell him the first one is always the hardest. But after thinking about it, I think my real assumption was that Hondurans are lacking politics.