[lbo-talk] the proclamation

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 06:34:36 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 00:11, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:

> It looks to me as though a consistent anti-war movement 150 years ago would
> have opposed Lincoln – a point that may have some importance because of his
> mythic position in the American social imaginary.  --CGE

On the other hand, one could also say that it would also be consistent with neo-liberal principles to have simply let slavery whither under the principles of the free market, as the "Yes Men" argue in their guise as members of the WTO (or, in more accurate terms, that slavery was really only ever formally outlawed anyway):

The whole segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-1W_8otS4

The two minute excerpt especially relevant to slavery: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5206347030584294754#

-s