[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 13:03:46 PDT 2010

I'll go with "a course of action is good or bad according as the results are good or bad", but there are two problems with it: you don't know until it's all over and it's rare that results aren't awfully mixed. The North was right in the Civil War because, whatever rhetoric was slathered over it, the South was fighting to keep slavery. It's really not ahistorical to note that the overwhelming consensus in other western nations was that slavery was immoral, and had already been abolished elsewhere. It was rejection not of a governing system or a series of wrongs (a la the Declaration of Independence's indictment of the British crown), but of the possibility that an unjust law and its supporting legal framework might be overturned. In this context, armed rebellion did justify armed response.

Maybe the issue is that imperialism claims a range of grand aims -- concern over the plight of the oppressed Afghani women is trotted out to shut the hippies up. Righting a single, not-to-be-borne wrong is different from generally civilizing the brutes, and of course helping them exploit their resources.