[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 9 07:42:20 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Christopher Cutrone wrote:

> publicly interviewed Tariq Ali during the worst period of the Iraq
> occupation, and he lied through his teeth, saying that the sectarian-
> communalist violence in Iraq, i.e., of the mosque and marketplace
> bombings, was not being perpetrated by the Iraqis but by "British
> special forces!"

This did not sound at all like Tariq Ali to me - I've interviewed him many times and know him reasonably well. So I asked him about it. His response: "Certainly not..and why British? We know that some of the death squads were set-up and sent out by the US..NYT reported as much some years ago....and I must have said that...they taped the whole interview and put it out...a few months ago I denounced the Shia squads for cleansing the Sunni areas!"

Doug