[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Christopher Cutrone ccutrone at speedsite.com
Fri Apr 9 08:14:47 PDT 2010

I will not be subject to gas-lighting (i.e., "Who are you going to believe, me, or your lying eyes?") by Tariq Ali. He said that British special forces were captured in "native" clothing with a bomb in their car. He inferred from this that the sectarian bombings were being carried out not by Iraqis but by British and American forces. He also said that there was no such thing as al-Qaeda (in Iraq).

There's a playlist of clips including the entire interview I did with Ali available on YouTube (just search Cutrone and Ali), where anyone can see for themselves what Ali said. The NLR article by Ali I referenced is "Mid-Point in the Middle East?" from 2006 -- see the final paragraphs.

My point is not to vilify Ali but to point out that all sides of the so-called "Left" are playing problematic role, "pedagogically," regarding the realities of the world we face. There's a lot of posturing, but nothing of political substance.

-- Chris

P.S.

James Heartfield asked about Vietnam: Yes, it is "impressive" for its sweatshop labor!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com Fri Apr 9 07:42:20 PDT 2010