[lbo-talk] Bizarre Comment from David Brooks

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:37:17 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton:

>I know that many people, including a number on this list, explain their
>political radicalization in terms of something they read. I simplyu
>don't believe them. That ext that radicalized them did so only because
>their activity had prepared them to be radicalized by it, not because
>the text had an indepencent racizlizing potential.

Who said anything about independent? And reading *is* activity isn't it? How do you separate that out from other radicalizing activity?

^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, and political "action" is largely talk-action, like making speeches and marching in rallies or voting. It's not like radical political action involves us going out and putting our hands on the basic means of production , taking them away from the bourgeoisie and putting them into the hands of the working class masses.

So, the famous talk/action or read/action distinction is a little misleading.