[lbo-talk] balance of payments

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Apr 9 14:00:30 PDT 2010

Those numbers are problematic. Tax data are attributed to the address on the form, but that is not necessarily the filer's home address. It could be his/her tax preparer. On the spending side, a contractor operating in a state where the project is need not live in the state, nor need its shareholders if the company is public. The workers in a state need not live there either.

There is also the time disconnect. Somebody paying payroll tax for SS & Medicare could retire to another state and get benefits there.

Oh, and this info is from the Tax Foundation, and they suck. I haven't read their study -- go ahead and sue me -- if somebody has and can flag a mistake in what I said, feel free to respond.