[lbo-talk] Who are the Teabaggers? Call for assistance.

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:16:59 PDT 2010

Among some fellow student activists here in DC (mostly of what I'd like to call the anarcho-liberal variety) the question of who the Tea Party Movement members are (in terms of class composition, etc) and whether or not they should be viewed as some sort of nascent fascist movement was posed to me (because I've read Marxists and not Crimethinc., I suppose). I'm guessing the upcoming blitz on our neighborhood by these folks on April 15th triggered it. It'll be a topic at a meeting of a few progressive student groups next week and I don't like to knowingly peddle bullshit... So here's some of my still inchoate views on the topic (largely derivative I'm sure), any criticisms would be appreciated. *** Not much has changed in the past year and half, but the mere* perception* of change during the Obama presidency has helped to spawn a right-wing opposition movement, an opposition whose real roots lie in the continued fragmentation of capitalist society in the neoliberal age. Discontent has only now been accentuated due to the election of an African-American president who has come to be a symbol for the metamorphosis of the last quarter century among a not-so-insignificant quadrant of the petit bourgeoisie and their allies. To say that the Tea Party Movement is rooted, like all reactionary movements, in real contradictions and grievances is not to yield too much ground.

To speak sweepingly: Tea Partiers have an idyllic dream of a society in which wealth is available to all who strive to earn—as opposed to receive or “make”*—*it and the overburdened petit bourgeoisie aren’t outmuscled by big business’ lobbyists or the natural tendency of capital to monopolize. For them their identity as “Americans” is a source of pride and prestige that globalization and the obvious decline of the United States’ hegemony threaten. They are white, mostly male and ‘middle class,’ and misdirect well-justified anger towards those groups whom they perceive to be beneficiaries of the declining social status of the white male; feminists, people of color, “welfare cheats,” and immigrants, all undeserving of status as “real Americans.” Many of them were “Reagan Democrats” who helped to undermine their own economic position by allowing themselves to be used as weapons in the neoliberal offensive of the 1980s. It was not so much the bureaucratic grey of the welfare state that aggrieved these Reagan voters, but its use as an instrument of civil rights and social integration for a diverse group of Americans in the 1960s and 1970s. Today, distilled to its most coherent elements, their political program calls for a “purer” capitalism that is fair, meritorious and free of government. Since this fantasy cannot be realized and these utopians of the right will continue to alternately amuse, infuriate and worry us with their trademark “anti-establishment rhetoric to serve the establishment” ironies. Yet even the most noxious of petit bourgeois utopians, in the form of domestic Tea Partiers or Islamists abroad, should never been the *prime *target of composed progressives. My main point is to stress to student progressives that the real enemy is the intelligent, affable black man in the White House and the society in his charge, not your Ayn Rand quoting, libertarian cousin or some idiot doing combat drills in the woods in West Bumblefuck Nowhere America. I have a decent understanding of what fascism (Trotsky's writing from the 30s, etc) and wouldn't have a problem explaining why the Teabaggers aren't the Blackshirts.