[lbo-talk] women can drill too

James Leveque jamespl79 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:21:10 PDT 2010

Actually, a number of conservatives like Andrew Sullivan and (I think) David Frum also thought the "Drill baby drill' mantra was pretty stupid. Sullivan, back during McCain's campaign, thought it was evidence of the GOP's ideological bankruptcy. (So naturally it became the Obama administration's policy.)

But isn't it okay to point out when somebody's level of communication (and how often do you really see Palin communicate otherwise?) devolves into knee-jerk sloganeering? Drill baby drill! Don't give any thought to long-term environmental damage, don't mention anything about costs or benefits, don't even think about discussing alternative forms of energy. Just shout "Drill baby drill" and then shut up. And I'm certainly not saying that it's a problem exclusively of the right. Hopeandchange was basically the same thing and THAT slogan got some guy elected.