[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 9 14:39:45 PDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> You fellows would be more convincing if you would would explain
> exactly what
> these differences are. Simply alleging "there is a difference" barely
> improves on a guessing game.
>
> Doug, I'm not sure that exempting alleged nation-states from an
> anti-imperialist line would even put us in opposition to most of the
> world's
> imperial nastiness. The Nazis also perpetuated quite a bit of it in
> territories they considered German, not always without some historical
> justification.

There was a process of admission to the union. The Southern states joined freely by ratifying the constitution and signing on the dotted line. They even supplied quite a few of our first presidents. (Of the 15 presidents before Lincoln, 7 were born in Virginia, 1 in North Carolina, and 1 in South Carolina.) That has nothing at all in common with a Nazi Anschluss.

Doug