[lbo-talk] Most dangerous man in America...

Myles Sussman myles.sussman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 14:40:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Went to see this with my teen tonight and I thought it was pretty good.
> Wish I could say that I could see this sort of thing happening today.

I saw it a few weeks ago. The movie was pretty good. But afterwards I thought that the lesson of the movie seems to be how easily those times have been purged from the memory banks and papered over. The story of Vietnam told by The Pentagon Papers is not the one that's taught to America's kids. One cannot imagine today's newspapers putting up a fight to publish such material. If the US Senators of the 1960s were unwilling to do anything, after being handed that damning information by Ellsberg, today's US Senators are even less willing to confront any wrongdoing by our government. So Vietnam escalation was premeditated? The Iraq war was begun in 2002 (with an air war) before the faux-debate in Congress. Seems like same-old same-old! The time of the revelation of the Pentagon Papers seems to have been a pivotal moment where one of two roads must be taken. We took the wrong road.