[lbo-talk] masturbating commas

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:05:55 PDT 2010

This may simply be a comment on James' later style, which is characterized by meandering sentences containing many subordinate clauses and parenthetical phrases set off by commas. These two sentences from the first paragraph of The Ambassadors may serve as an example:

"The principle I have just mentioned as operating had been, with the most newly disembarked of the two men, wholly instinctive—the fruit of a sharp sense that, delightful as it would be to find himself looking, after so much separation, into his comrade's face, his business would be a trifle bungled should he simply arrange for this countenance to present itself to the nearing steamer as the first "note," of Europe. Mixed with everything was the apprehension, already, on Strether's part, that it would, at best, throughout, prove the note of Europe in quite a sufficient degree."

Edith Wharton thought that this sort of thing made much of James' later work incomprehensible. I don't know if it is a case of masturbating the comma so much as masturbating with the comma.