[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 18:00:46 PDT 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 1:49 PM, Christopher Cutrone wrote:

> This will be my last post to the list, at least for a while. Indeed,
> I was drawn into a place of "sandbox" disputes.

Thanks for descending from on high to mix it up with us juveniles. It's been enlightening.

I've heard from several sources now that you were once a Spartacist. This makes some sense. You show the Sparts' love of sectarian dispute combined with their absolutely unprincipled way of characterizing their opponents. And just like WV spends more time polemicizing against the ISO than the bourgeoisie, you seem to think it worth a lot of time to demean Tariq Ali.

> (It was indicative for me that in the discussion on this list, the
> terms "emancipation" and "reactionary" were both singled out with
> bemused frustration. The fact that no one seems to know what either
> means is indication enough that the "Left is dead!")

Like I said, you say you want to question everything, but the meaning of these terms is self-evident. I lifted some of my querying of "emancipation" from Foucault, who is hardly an insubstantial figure. But I guess you're beyond him.

> This means that the articles we publish tend more towards the
> "philosophical" treatment of issues.

Love the scare quotes.

The left is in trouble, no doubt about it, but the Platypussies aren't its road to revival, for sure.

Doug