[lbo-talk] Platypus: what we are, what we do, and why

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 20:12:44 PDT 2010

Oh dear. Even after watching the video on youtube, I had thought we were dealing with a somewhat green grad student interested in whetting his chops at politics. Much of the attention I paid was in an attempt to give a critique to what I thought was misguided youth. But this guy is older than me--around 40. That's disappointing. Even more so that, of all the possible photos he likely has of himself, he chose one where he's wearing some kind of ascot. Talk about taking yourself too seriously. No wonder he didn't get along with folks here: (other than his retrograde politics and middling theory) he looks like he has no sense of humor whatsoever.

On the other hand, it is clear that he takes himself very seriously in terms of theory--likely imagines that no one on this list could possibly understand the depth of his thought on Adorno, etc. It might surprise him that a key member of this list has, sort of in his spare time, provided the English speaking world with the go-to translation of Negative Dialectics (thanks, BTW Dennis)--and many others, while performing entire other careers, could probably go head to head with him on readings of Critical Theory. It is a helpful reminder to me, as I get involved in this academic gig, to stay humble. And, of course, to stay away for ascots.