[lbo-talk] Who are the Teabaggers? Call for assistance.

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:58:42 PDT 2010

>There can be a problem of substance -- and I think often has been in
>reference to actions of the Bush and now the Obama administrations. When
>a writer describes such an action as "stupid," thhe term exhibits a deep
>misunderstanding of differences of purpose. The actions are "stupid"
>only if Bush & Obama share goals with us. They don't. We have to assume
>the actions make sense, and the question then is how to understand the
>goals that make sense of the actions.

>And Brad by fhrowing fits about lbo
>references to the stupidity of TPs is simply being unserious. It isn't
>that big a deal. The TPs are neither potential allies nor (at the
>present) a serious 'enemy.' They are merely silly and we have better
>things to think about.

>Carrol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- True on the first part and that is my point. On the silliness of my 'throwing fits' about it: I think it is actually important that we get this and practice it in our politics. When a left lib goes on about how John Stewart or someone said that Palin was stupid we need to call them on it. We need to say, look John Stewart is just as delusional as Palin is about how to fix the mess that we are in and that the two are just throwing up a democratic facade with all of this left intellectual v. right real merican stuff. Both Palin (and Beck who just said as much) and Stewart are entertainers who make money by helping to mask the real game (I am not saying people are duped, just that there are different ways of making sense of the world). I think we need to practice a politics that transcends that bullshit (no matter how funny Palin, and Stewart on Palin is).

Brad