[lbo-talk] Jail The Pope

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Apr 11 15:43:18 PDT 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> This was my initial thought as well; but, if the article is to be
> believed,
> Dawkins and Hitch have engaged a firm of solicitors to devise an
> argument
> against the Pope's claim of diplomatic immunity, using Pinochet's
> arrest as
> precedent. It sounds quite mad to me, but who knows?

It takes a Hitchens to equate bureaucratic indifference to sex play between altar boys and priests (the Church's default position for its entire history--and the very least of its crimes, if that) to the perpetration of mass murder and mass torture.

>>> Hitchens and Dawkins have visions of a second Babylonian Captivity:
>>>
>>> "RICHARD DAWKINS, the atheist campaigner, is planning a legal
>>> ambush to
>> have the Pope arrested during his state visit to Britain “for
>> crimes against humanity"

Shane Mage

The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Joe Stack (1956-2010)