[lbo-talk] Assassination comes home

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Apr 11 19:43:11 PDT 2010

I don't know if this is true, but apparently it's ok to assassinate U.S. citizens now. Joanna

---------

Yes it's true. I read about this, this week. But there was so much of devolution this week that I forgot it. Somebody posted the 2007 chopper video and I lost track of the targeted assassination story.

Below is a link to a discussion on the chopper video:

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/insidestory/2010/04/201047143537280653.html

Here is an amusing announcement from Yemen's foreign minister:

``Yemen has said it will not hunt down a US-born religious leader who has reportedly been added to the CIA's list of targets to be killed or captured.

Abu Bakr al-Qirbi, the Yemeni foreign minister, said on Saturday that his country did not receive any evidence from the US to support allegations that Anwar al-Awlaki is recruiting for al-Qaeda's offshoot in Yemen.

"Anwar al-Awlaki has always been looked at as a preacher rather than a terrorist and shouldn't be considered as a terrorist unless the Americans have evidence that he has been involved in terrorism," al-Qirbi said....''

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2010/04/201041115554428358.html

Reading further into the story you find that Yemen government is concerned with internal stability over tribal and regional issues of which al-Awlaki is part. In other words if they go along with or assist the US and get al-Awlaki killed they have a political mess on their hands.

The only action I can think of is just continue to uncover story after story after story. Sooner or later Obama/Clinton political creditably will erode to Bush/Rice levels

Below is to another wikileak.

``The fall of the Dutch Government over its troop commitment to Afghanistan demonstrates the fragility of European support for the NATO-led ISAF mission. Some NATO states, notably France and Germany, have counted on public apathy about Afghanistan to increase their contributions to the mission, but indifference might turn into active hostility if spring and summer fighting results in an upsurge in military or Afghan civilian casualties and if a Dutch- style debate spills over into other states contributing troops...''

Here is a choice piece:

``...[if] domestic politics forces the Dutch to depart, politicians elsewhere might cite a precedent for “listening to the voters.” French and German leaders have over the past two years taken steps to preempt an upsurge of opposition but their vulnerability may be higher now..''

http://wikileaks.org/

Imagine the horror if an elected government listened to its voters.

The CIA recommends Tailoring the Messaging for those ninny voters...which I take to mean that's how the campaign will go here. They go on to make a long list of ways to overcome voters with spin stories that range from losing in Afghanistan will cause a refugee crisis that will flood France. Manipulate this `humanitarian' sentiment. The Germans worry about money and `principle' so jack up their confidence Obama can win in Afghanistan and use the `women' issue.

Kinda hard to do that women thing when you just got caught killing pregnant women.

CG