[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 20:02:58 PDT 2010

Here's what I don't get: we're constantly told the U.S. is falling behind in math and science compared to our Asian and European peers.

Yet instead of trying to imitate the successful aspects of their educational systems, we're moving in essentially the opposite direction towards the casualization of teaching and what our British friends might call public-private partnerships. I can understand the logic from the perspective of the elite in this country, but why aren't more Americans noticing the obvious inconsistency here?

It's similar to the health care debate, where we refused to engage with the best practices abroad, but here it's even more egregious because there's a widespread acceptance that our educational system *isn't* the best in the world.