[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

cqmv at pdx.edu cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Apr 13 21:20:29 PDT 2010

Quoting Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>:

> I was in our meeting yesterday about a new gen ed, and we just
> can't have any "objectives" that are not assessable, so this means they have
> to be framed in terms that render them "assessable," and this actually
> alters the content and direction of the goals. I can't see what about it is
> *not* pernicious.

What is the point of having a student learning objective that cannot be assessed? I've been teaching for about 20 years now, and I consider it my responsibility to provide students with explicit learning objectives and let them know how I will evaluate their learning. Is it pernicious to claim that learning can be measured?

Miles