[lbo-talk] Fighting NCLB, etc.

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 06:56:45 PDT 2010

[WS:] Good idea but completely unattainable. Has there been any general strike in the US history? I do not think so.

As I see it, it is not about testing or education but about privatization of education. This whole "measurement of learning objectives" is a thinly veiled effort to sabotage public education system so it can be easier dismantled and its more profitable portions sold to well-connected entrepreneurs. They know that teachers and teach unions are the biggest obstacle to privatization, so there is on open season on teachers.

Case in point, last year the superintendent of DC schools Michelle Rhee sacked 260+ "bad" teachers supposedly due to budgetary shortages. This year, however, DC school miraculously has a surplus that will be used to reward "good" teachers (i.e. Rhee's cronies) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/13/AR2010041302834.html

The only way to stop that testing nonsense is to derail privatization of public education, but this seems unlikely because privatization is supported even by many liberals, including Obama.

Wojtek