[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 07:24:48 PDT 2010

[WS:] It is probably a result of a tacit alliance between conservative and liberal forces that wrecked other public institutions (e.g. mental health care.) The conservatives basically have two goals - defunding and privatization which may not sail very well with large segments of the public. The liberals provide a cover up for these efforts by manufacturing the cultural tropes of "reform" and "helping the victims of the supposedly bad system."

I could be mistaken, but for many liberals teacher and public school bashing is a convenient face saving strategy. They see and bemoan the growing disparity between the rich and the poor, but instead of admitting that the problem is structural, which would require a radical solution, they fancy themselves that the poor are merely "left behind" by the educational system - so they imagine that half-assed and acceptable to corporate bosses "solutions" aiming to "fix" education - first by busing, now by weeing out "bad" teachers and privatizing schools - will solve the problem. In that respect, they are useful idiots whose main usefulness is their capacity to influence public opinion.

Wojtek