[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 14 08:28:55 PDT 2010

Michael Smith wrote:
>> Is it pernicious to claim that learning can be measured?
>>

> Not so much pernicious as ridiculous, unless you're
> talking about rats in a maze.
>
> Which of course we are, come to think of it.

Really? We can't discern whether one person has learned more than another about anything? As I noted, I've been evaluating student learning in my classes for about 20 years. By providing students meaningful input about what they have learned and what they haven't learned yet, I have helped students further develop their knowledge and skills. This is a good thing, yes?

Miles