[lbo-talk] NCLB bites the University?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Apr 14 08:48:36 PDT 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:
> You say we need to develop
> meaningful strategies for assessing student learning... who says we don't
> have them? That overwork doesn't make them impossible to use without
> destroying other aspects of our pedagogy and/or lives? That the problems
> with faculty teaching ans student learning don't lie mostly outside the
> classroom and assessment mechanisms?
>
> Alan

Alan,

This is the issue I'm pointing out here. If we faculty say "trust us, we're assessing student learning", or even more bluntly "assessing student learning is ridiculous", we're not making an argument based on evidence; we're asking people to believe us because of our social status as "experts". That's just not a defensible position to me. Sure, there are lots of problems with our educational system, and I agree wholeheartedly that NLCB is a colossal clusterfuck. We're not going to improve things, though, until we thoughtfully gather and use systematic evidence about learning. Anecdotal claims about how important the class was to some student a year after they took the class isn't going to cut it.

Miles