[lbo-talk] another TP poll: still whiter, righter, more

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:08:59 PDT 2010

"Forty-five percent of all Americans say they do not know enough about the Tea Party to say whether they support it or oppose it. Those who are familiar with the movement are divided right down the middle -- 27 percent support the Tea Party movement, and 27 percent oppose it."

I find it amazing that only 27% of those polled oppose the TP and that an equal amount support it. The 45% undecided is where a strong and effective left could make a difference in determining if this grows or dies.

John Gulick writes:
>We must debunk the idea that these odious sorts can be peeled off to the left with a populist appeal. "Left-wing" populism is dangerous stuff anyway. It can so easily >transmogrify into its right-wing cousin. "Left-wing" populism is one (and there are many) curses of the American left.

That won't be hard to debunk, I have never heard or read anyone say that they should do such a thing. Have you? Who, where?

Can you elaborate on your Left-wing populism is dangerous thesis a little bit more. How would you describe populism? And why would its left-wing variant be so dangerous?