[lbo-talk] NPR: New York's Hipsters Too Cool For The Census

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:00:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 15:29, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>> What about the Hasidim?

according to the piece, it's even lower for that part of town:

SMITH; Now, this isn't the case for the whole neighborhood. If you walk toward the new glass condo buildings, you'll find that participation in the census takes off. In the other direction, return rates plunge. And you can't blame it all on the cool kids. This is the Hasidic part of Williamsburg, where the Satmar Orthodox Jews live. Only one quarter of households here so far have participated. Not only are they reluctant to fill out the census, they don't even want to talk about it.

SMITH: Excuse me, sir. I'm a news reporter asking people about the census. Did you fill out the census?

Unidentified Man: I do not know about that.

SMITH: The man, dressed head to toe in black, tells me that they don't listen to the radio and they certainly don't do radio interviews. As for the census, he waves his hand. Too busy, he says.