[lbo-talk] Code Pink reaches out to TP

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 10:05:05 PDT 2010

http://codepinkalert.org/article.php?id=5366

April 14, 2010 Dear andrew, Don't turn the time after Tax Day into Relax Day! Your country needs you to start a difficult conversation right now with someone you love dearly but just can't see eye to eye with! At CODEPINK, we are extending an olive branch to Tea Party activists. While we don't support the goals and tactics of the Tea Party, there is an area where we are seeking common ground: endless wars and militarism. Tea baggers who are furious at government spending and soaring deficits should take a hard look at what is the biggest sinkhole of our tax dollars: military spending. Every taxpayer has already spent, on average, a staggering $7,367 for the unnecessary wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Obama is now asking Congress for $33 billion more to pay for another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. We are not na?ve to think that it would be easy for the Tea Party and the peace movement to work together. Our core values are different. But building peace means reaching out to the other side and trying to find common ground even with those people whose beliefs contradict so many of our own. So this Tax Day, we ask you to reach out to your conservative family members, friends and co-workers, with this very special e-card to start a conversation about how a war economy does not leave us with enough of the pie for our families. Read Medea Benjamin's piece--her questions for tea partiers might just inspire you to start a difficult conversation of your own.