[lbo-talk] On Witchcraft

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 04:55:58 PDT 2010

The Devil is not an object of consciousness, so actually it couldn't.

----- Original Message ---- From: James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, April 16, 2010 3:31:26 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] On Witchcraft

'Once during the first world war Scheler visited me in Heidelberg, and we had an informing conversation on this subject. Scheler maintained that phenomenology was a universal method which could have anything for its intentional object. For example, he explained, phenomenological researches could be made about the devil; only the question of the devil's reality would first have to be "bracketed." "Certainly," I answered, "and when you are finished with the phenomenological picture of the devil, you open the brackets - and the devil in person is standing before you." Scheler laughed, shrugged his shoulders, and made no reply.' Marxism and Existentialism, 1947, p 246-7 in Georg Lukacs, Marxism and Human Liberation, Dell Publishing, New York, 1973, edited by E San Juan Jr ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk