[lbo-talk] another TP poll: still whiter, righter, more

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 17:37:19 PDT 2010

Jim wrote:
>I am just baffled by leftos who think the
>quasi-populist right or far-right is more fertile ground for revolutionary
>left politics than the poor people, working people, nonwhites, women, queers
>and secular liberals who make up the vast bulk of Dem voting rolls.

>I deal with conservative and right-wing people in my day to day an awful
>lot--- housemates, friends, workers in an organizing campaign, and family
>members--- and although we certainly can't just give up on reactionary
>working folks, it is simply not conceivable that many (or anyone) motivated
>by the peculiar mix of status anxiety, selfishness, racism, urban-phobia,
>anti-redistributionist sentiment, bailout frustration and orthodox
>right-wing activism that make up the average tea party can be moved into
>anything that looks like radical left politics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I would agree with most of this except for the last part of the first sentence. Liberals and hardcore partisan Dems are probably going to be the hardest people out there to move into revolutionary politics. The left has been chasing this bunch for far too long.

Brad