[lbo-talk] Fwd: John Gray, Thatcher

Richard Seymour leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 17 02:08:33 PDT 2010

On 16/04/2010 23:43, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 6:32 PM, Richard Seymour wrote:
>
> I dunno, the fact that we are typing at each other seems like a pretty
> major, and mostly good, change.

I'll see your internet and raise you a holocaust. We could trade 'change' cards like this for a long time, but we're in danger of doing so at cross-purposes. We can presumably both agree with Jameson that capitalism is at one and the same time the best and worst thing that has happened to humanity.

> Problem is we now have almost nothing positive to offer. We've become
> something of a party of "No," and that's not good. Over the long term,
> not having at least a utopian possibility on offer is a serious problem.

Is that right? The left is weak, but demands for single-payer healthcare, improved union rights, the abolition of the death penalty etc. are surely demands for positive change. I completely agree on the need for the Left to revive utopian possibilities, something that people like Michael Alpert and Jonathan Holloway approach in different ways, but the work of reviving of such ideas and the movements to support them is a long game, and in the interim a defensive strategy is surely appropriate.

-- *Richard Seymour*

Writer and blogger

Email: leninstombblog at googlemail.com

Website: http://www.leninology.blogspot.com