[lbo-talk] Game Time! (was: another TP poll: still whiter, righter, more)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Apr 17 12:41:33 PDT 2010

At 08:26 AM 4/17/2010, Andy wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> >> Mine too. Maybe that's why, as with my first favorite band, the
> >> Stones, and first favorite writer, Hemingway, I get extremely
> >> embarrassed every time I read/hear them these days.
> >
> > OK. Game time! Name the first album/disc you ever had. The worser the
> > better.
>
>First one I had... Disco Duck.
>
>First one I bought... Super Trouper.
>
>Do I win?

this game is only for losers! :) I forgot to drop the link to my first album, a gift from my aunt. an older friend used to listen to her older brother's album, over and over, after he went to college. she was in lurv, and their song was Muskrat Susie. Thus, my first album was America's History: America's Greatest Hits! because my aunt figured I would like it since my friend, Susie, loved it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History:_America's_Greatest_Hits

the first one I bought myself with babysitting money: Manfred Man's Earth Band. We were all obsessed with "Blinded by the Light" - the lyrics. Don't recall the album and when I looked it up, the image didn't ring a bell. We were obsessed, our gang of neighborhood girls: What the hell could those lyrics possibly mean, especially sure that "deuce"[1] was really "douche".

OMG! Douche! They said Douche, and we'd all freak out because it was, in our minds, somehow connected to vaginas and mothers and the stash in the bathroom cupboard that we didn't discuss very much and when we did, well. Summer's Eve wasn't something girls should worry about -- according to moms. In fact, it seem to us that, like shaving our legs, it was something our mothers never wanted us to do. We would come home and beg, beg, beg to shave the fuzz off our legs, so we could be grown up. No way! said the moms. Puzzling!

So we'd walk across the county fairgrounds to Grant's Department Store in a small strip mall with a supermarket and drugstore. it was right across the street from the King Cole bar where dad hung out every so often, on the nights some cranky lady called to bitch because the paperboy had skipped out on his route and dad had to deliver the kid's abandoned route. The few times we'd seen the inside of King Cole, well dang, it was adorned with the characters from Old King Cole, seemed like a nursery rhyme kinda place to us. Dad told us that the fiddler's three showed up, yes indeedy. Why kids weren't allowed, we never understood. And, why was mom pissed when dad's car was parked there? :) [speaking of dad, i can recall one of the 45s he played was 'Countin' Flowers On The Wall'. Holee crap, the lyrics. We all just thought the lyrics, 'playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51,' were a hoot. The rest? Didn't pay attention, but dang, who'da thunk such a goofy song was, like, totally DAD! well, yeah, he smoked cigarettes, loved to play cards, and loved Captain Kangaroo, so OK. But the rest.... sooooooooo dad.

Anyway, at the department store, we'd hang out in the record section and paw through the albums reading the lyrics, continually disappointed because it said deuce. What did that mean? infuriating, it was. We were convinced it was purposefully done. They put 'deuce' on the album lyrics because of censorship. They were really singing douche. Because, what the hell was a deuce? Had to be douche, nto that it made more sense, mind.

Also, until now, when I looked it up, I thought a calliope was, oh, a merry-go-round that flew due to a propeller on the top and four angel-wings protruding from the sides. hmmmm. WTF did I get that idea? I'm sure it was some hippy dippy love-in illustration I'd seen somewhere.

[1] According to the Internets(tm), the word deuce in the lyrics is a ref to a 1932 Ford Hotrod.

Speaking of deuce and word history and mangling: Sonshine, at about 14, took to saying, "Mom. I gotta take a douche."

"What?"

"A dump."

"A douche is something women used to use to, supposedly, clean their vaginas. So, how the hell has douche come to mean that? What bizarre twisting of the language? Where'd you boys get that? So weird."

"don't know ma, but i gotta shit!"

Well, I don't recall how he figured it out, but R read a reference somewhere to the fact that in the 1800s people called it "deuce", apparently a way of saying "number 2."

And that is the story of how "take a douche" came to mean "take a dump" among teenaged boys in LimpDick.