[lbo-talk] mayor of Champaign: Obama not an American

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 07:33:33 PDT 2010

Surely, I should have thought of this, in these specific terms, earlier but, pedagogically (am I masturbating, commas?), this note made clear how much these kinds of instances and beliefs are treated as if they are discrete elements of individuals opinions, isolated statements not associated with overlapping networks of creepy thought. This creep doesn't only doubt Obama's citizenship, doubting Obama's citizenship is of a piece with a raft of other creepiness. I think I am so accustomed to seeing the questioning of Obama's citizenship as part and parcel of a raft of other equally creepy and unfounded perspectives that I probably (at least, too often) address such issues in my classes in a manner which only implicitly makes such connections... and, by not making the connections explicit and speaking in "We all know that this means" kinds of tones that don't often enough explicitly make the connections for my students, reinforce their perception that sociology and politics are largely about pointing out the ways that discrete individuals have discrete differences of opinion rather than systematically different perspectives variously rooted in unequally developed logical and empirical foundations and arguments... and that I am just a liberal, the other person is just a conservative and that's all there is to it. Damn. I know I can't do everything all the time in my teaching but hopefully serves as a periodic corrective to my own, unintended, contradictions as a professor. A